Diabetes in pets
Diabetes – A growing issue for pet owners
Dogs and cats age at a much faster rate than people. Typically for every human year, your dog or cat ages between 6 to 8 years. As your pets age their nutritional needs change. All pet’s require suitable food to provide an overall balanced diet. Foods containing sugar, salt and excessive fat are much more harmful to pets, and feeding pets snacks and food meant for human consumption is extremely bad for pet health and can lead to diseases like diabetes and even cholesterol.
Most quality ‘complete’ pet foods are manufactured to provide a balanced diet with enough protein, fibre, fats, vitamins, and minerals required for a healthy diet. Occasional pet treats are fine as long as they are produced as treats for pets (NOT human snacks, sweets or candy). As your pets ages, switching to a mature animal feed is recommended (especially dogs and cats), mature complex food can ensure your pets get extra essential nutrients but with reduced fats.
Diabetes is common in pets that are overweight. If your pet/s are over weight, constantly thirsty or drinking, there is a good chance they have developed diabetes. A urine test or blood test by your vet can provide confirmation. The best way to prevent diabetes is to ensure your pets are at a healthy weight and have a healthy diet. It is possible, if caught early to reverse diabetes or manage it with diet, exercise and food. However in many cases where it is not possible your pets will require medication to manage their diabetes, this is usually in the form of tablets however in some cases pets will require insulin injections.
- Urinates frequently – Your pet has started to need the toilet more than usual, they may also be having accidents inside.
- Always Thirsty – They are constantly thirsty, they are drinking more than usual and you are having to refill their water.
- Weight Loss – They have lost weight.
- Always Hungry – Eating more but not satisfied, begging for more food.
- Coat has deteriorated – Coat/fur has become dry and dull, hair is falling out or patchy.
- Eyes Cloudy – (Dogs only).
- Lack of Energy – Tired wanting to sleep more, less keen or able to exercise & walk.
Pet Insurance Quotes
Virbac complete dog food, blended to help aid weight loss & prevent/manage diabetes. Virbac W1 is designed for all dog types (* you must not exceed recommended portion sizes for size/breed of dog):
BUY NOW – Virbac W1
12kg = £73.12 (+£7 delivery)
7kg = £49.95 (+£7.54 delivery)
Hills W/D Weight & Sugar Control Diabetes Management food for all dog types (* you must not exceed recommended portion sizes for size/breed of dog).
Steps to help prevent diabetes
- Healthy Weight – Ensure your pets are a healthy weight.
- Switch Food – Switch to a weight loss and diabetes control food like Virbac W1.
- Limit treats – Only feed your pets ‘Pet Treats’, your pets health can be damaged by sugary/salty/fatty snacks.
- Daily Exercise – Ensure your pets, especially dogs, get daily exercise. A walk has great health benefits for owners as well as dogs.